Best 5 Orthopedic Dog Beds Compared
Dogs provide companionship, love, and so many other things. As a dog owner, you can be called a pet parent, a dog companion, or a dog’s best friend. Whichever they call you, it gives you a feeling of being proud in ways you can’t fathom and at the same time, gives you the idea that you’ve got responsibilities that you have committed yourself into. The most important one is to make sure that your dog is living a good healthy life. It might not be easy to always ensure the quality of life your dog companion has because of the fact that they don’t communicate the way humans do but there is something with dogs that make them easy to connect with their owners. Just like how we have our own area to sleep and refresh ourselves, having a space where your dogs can sleep and lounge comfortably is important. We’ve all seen the latest on memory foam mattresses for humans and who knows you could possibly own a memory foam mattress yourself. The difference between your old regular mattress and new mattress is almost night and day. Well they have memory foam beds for dogs otherwise known as Orthopedic Dog Beds we’ll go ahead and break down the best orthopedic dog beds in this article.
- Best 5 Orthopedic Dog Beds Compared
- Benefits of Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Beds
If you have a big dog that weighs around 70-110 pounds then the Big Barker would be the best choice for him. It is especially made to accommodate large dogs with obvious features only an owner of a big dog can appreciate as it provides guarantee of accurate size and durability which doesn’t flatten over time. The maker of this orthopedic bed guarantees 90 percent retention of its total structure, durability of at least 10 years and a 10-year warranty.
Made with a 7-inch orthopedic dog bed with pillow top and from combinations of therapeutic foams such as H10 comfort foam and H45 support foams which are types of foams similarly used in expensive furniture, your dog’ s sleep experience will never be the same again.
The Big Barker dog bed comes in three different sizes Large, XL, and Giant XXL. A large (40 x 30 x 7) sized bed could accommodate Labrador, Boxer, Golden Retriever, Pitbull, or Husky. Extra Large (52 x 6 x 7) is a size made perfectly for German Shepherd, Rottweiler, Doberman, Newfoundland, or Mastiff while a Giant XXL (60 x 48 x 7) would fit for Great Dane, Irish Wolfhound and is also recommended for dogs who love to cuddle in one bed. Big Barker beds are not only for large dogs they have a product for small to medium dogs called the Bark’s JR.
This surprising bed has very high customer satisfaction with very minimal negative reviews. Below are the common comments that buyers share.
- It is a good investment. Most of the buyers are happy with the comfort the bed has been providing their pet dogs. Some of them updated their comments from the first day they bought the product and compared it years after. They are amazingly satisfied from day one and even happier to have proven with their own experience that the product is really not a waste of money.
- Dog Barker orthopedic beds are easy to clean. The covering of this bed is very handy that cleaning it doesn’t require too much effort. The covering can just be tossed into the washing machine or even could be cleaned via vacuum and damp cloth will finish the cleaning business.
- Easy to unpack and set up. It comes in a handy small box and a very informative manual that will provide a guide. Once it is unwrapped, it will expand and will reach the ideal size it is designed to be.
- Can it tolerate scratching? Some comments said that it depends on the severity of the scratch applied to it.
- CALIBRATED FOR BIG DOGS: Available in Large, XL, Giant XXL dog bed sizes. Too powerful for small dogs.
- 10 YEAR WARRANTY: Foam will retain 90% of original shape & loft for 10 years or your money back.
- WON'T FLATTEN: American made therapeutic foam is the best quality you'll find in orthopedic dog beds. Won't flatten...
PetFusion is high density memory foam designed with outer bolster so your dog can enjoy headrest and have the pleasure of additional warmth by nestling his legs, arms or even his head under the bolster. The fabric is made of 65 % polyester and 35% cotton which can be removed for the purpose of washing. Spare coverings are also available when the need of replacement arises. It comes in four sizes Small (25 x 20 x 5.5), Large (36 x 28 x 9), Extra Large (44 x 34 x 10), Jumbo(50 x 40 x 13) and in gray color with water resistant covers. The larger sizes are enough to provide comfort for but not limited to Golden Retriever, Basset Hound, German Shepherd or golden doodle. The review of this type revolves in the following buyers’ comments:
- Because it is made to be high density memory foam, it provides additional cushioning from the bolster positioned on the outer side of the bed allowing your furry friend to rest his head and curl into the corners. This main feature has helped a lot of dogs to make their sleep an extraordinary experience.
- Water resistance is one of its major features to look at. This made much cleaning easier and so it will not require frequent cleaning by the washing machine.
- The bed cover doesn’t shrink that’s why it is great for large dogs. It retains its size even after a number of washes unlike those of ordinary fluffy beds that eventually shrink even just in the first wash.
- The PetFusion Ultimate Dog Bed Lounge is a pricey product but the price is being compensated by the special features it provides. Though it is expensive, the price is just so worth it when your dog has finally found its bed best friend.
- Not recommended for very large dogs. The additional ring cushion attached to it may be a source of limited movement for very large dog but if that’s the case, it is always removable.
- PREMIUM COMPONENTS & BETTER HEALTH: (i) SOLID 4 inch MEMORY FOAM base for superior overall comfort, reduced joint...
- SMART DESIGN: (i) Base & bolsters provide optimal support & security. (ii) Water resistant & tear resistant cover....
- EASY TO CLEAN: (i) Removable cover is machine washable. (ii) Simple to spot clean & remove hair. Tumble dry on...
Memory foam based orthopedic dog bed with water proof and removable liners that cover the memory foam mattress. It comes with a pillow on the head part that has two zippered covers making it removable for washing. Its exterior covering is made to be soft and suede for your dog to lie on and has anti-slip bottom. Though it also comes in small size (25”L x 20”W x 3.5), the larger sizes are a best choice for bigger dog breeds like Rottweiler, Mastif, Labrador, Great Dane, Doberman, or Irish Wolfhound which are dogs that are prone and or suffering from orthopedic conditions such as arthritis. Pet parents who bought the product share these comments.
- Not so expensive but will serve the same benefits compared to those high dollar pricing brands. Some pet owners find it harder to swallow buying pricey quality memory foams. They purchased this brand and end up not regretting the choice.
- KOPEKS provide good amount of support as the mattress is thick and firm enough even if it has been used over time.
- It provides enough space for larger dog breeds to sleep and even gives ample room if they stretch making it comfortable bed to sleep and rest on.
- Good recommendations also include that the covering is easy to remove, wash and reapply.
- Very few negative remarks were made because of the pillow part not expanding the way it was described that made the covering not fit to the whole bed and some efforts were made to make it work for their dogs.
- Because of its surprisingly large size, multiple dogs can fit in the surface giving the “snugglers” more space to get the warmth they needed. A large dog and a small breed can fit in one KOPEKS orthopedic dog bed and they both still have enough room to stretch.
- Your Spoiled one spends more than half its life sleeping. A KOPEKS memory Foam Bed Will immediately become their...
- Special loving: great for pets with Arthritis or joint and muscle issues
- Dimensions: 50"L x 34"W x 7" thick memory foam plus a 3" thick pillow
This brand of bed is made as a gel memory foam orthopedic support which is five times denser and three times heavier than regular dog beds. It comes in a Jumbo size measuring 55 inches in length and 47 inches in width combined with an eight-inch headrest pillow. It is designed to have two layers of zipper protection with a waterproof internal covering and micro suede external covering in brown color. Extra replacement covers are also available in denim blue, denim brown and gray when a spare or a replacement external covering is needed. Customer reviews include the following:
- The cost is high but comes in a very good quality that’s why it is still a good investment for senior dogs. A product that is reasonably priced. Any dog owner can sacrifice the price of a bed over the comfort of a spoiled aging pet.
- Aside from the brilliant water proof internal covering that was made to be effective, the external covering is soft and of good quality.
- It is a huge bed that is extremely firm keeping your dog off the hard surface.
- The bed doesn’t change its firmness over time and this durability gives justice to its price.
- It doesn’t have any anti-slip bottom but is heavy enough to keep it from sliding. It is best to be used on wood made floors but if slipping happens, a rubber mat can be used underneath it to avoid such thing from happening.
- Comfortable to be used among large breeds like Presa Canara, Pitbull, Mastiff, Great Dane, or Malamute which is big enough to occupy their large built and can even give space for stretching. Support is very good as it doesn’t sag well enough to keep old bones from deteriorating further.
- Read our in depth review of the DogBed4Less Orthopedic Dog Bed
- WATERPROOF Liner + 2 EXTERNAL COVERS - The bed comes with 1 Water proof internal zipper cover to protect the memory...
- DURABLE WASHABLE COVER - 100 percent cotton Denim removable cover with strong zipper in gusset style and extra...
- GEL MEMORY FOAM ORTHOPEDIC SUPPORT - Top rated quality XL 40"X35"X4" hypoallergenic high density 100 percent solid...
This is another type of orthopedic memory foam with product dimension of 46 x 4 x 28 inches which has a convenient washable and removable soft faux suede covering. It is designed to have a waterproof liner and weighs about 10 pounds. The removable covering comes in a chocolate brown shade. Its company claims that it can provide comfort that will reduce arthritis pain and will facilitate good sleep especially among larger dogs. These are the highlights and the down sides of LaiFug memory bed in the customer review section.
- The product is sturdy and serves the purpose of providing enough support among medium to large sized dogs. The sturdiness doesn’t change and the longest review was from a pet owner who has it for a year. The review claimed that the sturdiness of the mattress appeared like the way it was delivered from day one.
- The outer covering is easy to clean whether with the use of a vacuum or a washing machine while the internal cover is liquid resilient which is perfect for occasional incontinence. Reassembling it is as easy as the process of cleaning it.
- The bed facilitates extreme comfort and that it becomes a favorite spot of almost every dog that has tried it.
- Its size may not fit with much larger dogs and some reviews suggest that a wider space will make it perfect for support and comfort. It will also be a plus if it can be a bed that allows snuggling with other dogs.
- When unwrapped, it has a smell from chemicals and needs to be left outdoors for at least 24 hours but not much of a hassle to place it outside while letting it expand.
- Some factory defects are observed by minimal number of consumers. Zippers were delivered defective and needed to be sent for replacement.
- SUPREME MENORY FOAM - 2 inches of high density memory foam on top of a 2-inch foam base provide extra support and...
- ORTHOPEDIC CARE - High density foam provides extra support to your pet's pressure points, great for older dogs with...
- LARGE SIZE - Laifug memory foam pet bed measures 46" ⅹ 28" ⅹ 4", ideal for large dogs weighing 150 pounds or...
Benefits of Orthopedic Memory Foam Dog Beds
The older dogs gets the more prone to aches and pains. And if he is a senior dog, an Orthopedic bed will be perfect for him. The orthopedic term makes a pet owner think that it might be something that has special features attached to it but fortunately, there are no standards when it comes to the height, thickness, or material of the bed. Tara Klimovitz, DVM, CCRT, with Perry Hall Animal Hospital in Baltimore described it to be something that is memory foam that will relieve the trauma to pressure points while the dog lies down so that no part of their musculoskeletal body feels the hard floor beneath them. Why orthopedic beds are important?
Orthopedic For the Prevention of Arthritis
As dogs age, they become more prone to bone ailments like arthritis, hip dysplasia, bone injuries, and soft tissue damage. They’re like humans and that as old age hits them, their musculoskeletal system deteriorates. Because of this, a proper distribution of the dog’s total body weight should be enabled which in turn will be a big help to reduce the risk of developing skeletal ailments.
For Reduction of Pain and Discomfort
Your senior dog when diagnosed with arthritis or other orthopedic conditions needs a bed that will provide ideal cushioning. Ideal cushioning means lowering the possibilities of creating pressure points which may exacerbate the condition. If this is not met, your buddy will suffer from joint and muscle pain which is already there to begin with. An orthopedic bed will help relieve the pain associated to these orthopedic diseases.
For a Conducive Place to Find Rest and Sleep
You will definitely notice when he is experiencing difficulties in sleeping and you can observe the frequency of him tossing and turning. This is a scenario suggesting that he is trying to find the most comfortable position to rest exposing him to stress and compromised sleep pattern. With the aid of the best orthopedic dog beds on the market today, your dog doesn’t need to explore sleeping positions.
With all these orthopedic dog beds reviewed, it is really a hard mission to select the right bed for your beloved one. You are the sole care giver that knows his specific needs and your main concern is to make sure he is comfortable whether he rests or sleeps especially when you are an owner of a senior dog. It might be heartbreaking to witness how your senior dog deteriorates in association with increasing age, your role is to spoil him with every comfort he deserves, alleviate presence of pain and prevent any impending discomfort. Having a memory foam as an example of an orthopedic dog bed to serve the purpose of support is worth every penny. With that said our top pick of choice for the best orthopedic dog beds is the Big Barker 7″ Orthopedic Dog Bed Of course a smart buyer takes into consideration buying the products with the best quality and lesser cost as possible. Your main guide as to the selection of a good orthopedic bed is to not compromise the size that best fits the body built of your dog, make sure that it is easy to maintain as to the manner it is being cleaned and washed and most importantly, the firmness of the mattress. Checking out these three important factors will make your purchase a great option that your best dog friend will surely enjoy. Besides, there is nothing more fulfilling for a pet owner to see the gleam of satisfaction in his pet’s eyes.